2012年4月4日

Super Hot Girls: Bebe Buell



bebebuellhair.jpg bebebuellcreem.jpg
I've got the above left photo taped to my fridge as a constant reminder to myself: THIS IS WHAT YOUR HAIR COULD BE LIKE. You know, like, if I applied myself or whatever. (And I hardly ever apply myself when it comes to hair - it's just so much work!) But even if the inspiration/aspiration thing hasn't worked out, at least it's nice to stare at Bebe Buell every time I go to get some more lemon water or a nectarine. A little while back I read her memoir Rebel Heart and - despite those many moments that make you go, "Arghh, Bebe, what were you thinking?!!", especially when it comes to her depressingly epic romance with Elvis Costello - it's generally so fun and superjuicy and a dream come true for my 70s-rock-star-obsessed, boring-hair-having self. The best is she gives away lots of good secrets about Mick and Bowie and Jimmy Page and Iggy and Stiv Bators and Todd Rundgren and Elvis and Keith Richards and so many other boys (and girls too, having been close pals with the likes of Patti Smith and Chrissie Hynde). Here's a few of my favorites:
On David Bowie:
"After hanging out for a couple of weeks, David and I decided that we might have sex, but then we both burst out laughing and ended up doing our makeup. He taught me a lot about makeup and fashion. He was the first man who ever painted my toenails for me. I don't think I was really his cup of tea sexually."
On Jimmy Page:
"Jimmy was big on astrology and he wanted to do my chart. I gave him the information, and he stopped calling me abruptly. I think he discovered I had a Mars-Venus link with Mick or something like that."
On Mick Jagger:
"He took me to the best Japanese restaurant in New York, a hole-in-the-wall called Mei, which was fashionable among the punk rock set on the Lower East Side. He gave me a large bottle of Shalimar perfume. (I still have the bottle, although, being a Chanel girl, I could never actually wear that floozy juice.)"
"Mick's a genius with skin. He always knew what creams to use, and he often shared his beauty products with me. He'd say, 'Let me look at that, Bebe,' and then he'd produce a jar and start massaging the contents into my skin. He told me how to steam my face, what herbs to use. No woman on earth knows more about cosmetics than Mick does."
On Chrissie Hynde:
"When Elvis was out of town touring, Chrissie Hynde and I would hang out together and do girlfriend things - like shopping at Harrods. Chrissie likes perfume, makeup, and nail polish as much as I do. She stood out because she looked like a biker chick, but she was soft and feminine, too, and a great girlfriend."
On Steven Tyler:
"He was grateful to be alive, to be up there, to have this opportunity. I thought that was absolutely touching. I'm getting really bored with this 'just rolled out of bed' look. I like my pop stars to dress well and have some serious attitude. I don't like all this 'Here's my flannel shirt.' What's wrong with a little eyeliner? I think glamour is part of what makes rock 'n' roll exciting fun, and if you don't have that, then go back to your day job. I am absolutely bored stiff by bands that look like Guided By Voices. They're about as sexy as an old brown shoe."
Bebe & Stiv:
bebestiv.jpg

没有评论:

发表评论