2011年12月8日

Burst Apart - The Antlers

For still being a relatively unknown (to the public at large) indie rock band, I bet you'd be surprised by the number of people who claimed their life was changed with The Antlers' last release "Hospice". It was a shockingly depressing, personal account of Peter Silberman that just verged on uncomfortable from time to time. For me, I recognized the feat of the album, respected the musicianship and
songwriting - but it just didn't click. I never wanted to (and still never do) want to listen to that album. It stares at me and I just stare back. It's not really my thing.

So I didn't have high hopes for "Burst Apart", but this is the album that just won't go away, no matter how much I try. As far as rock goes, I've maybe listened to this album more than any other from this year for the simple fact that I keep thinking that I want to delete it. I keep trying to convince myself that I don't actually like this band and it's just foolish because this is a gorgeous record, one that I can't deny.

There are some albums where it doesn't really matter what the singer is singing about because the music itself is what lifts it. This is one of those albums. I'm sure the lyrics are still really depressing and I get glimpses of them here and there, but they aren't what is important to me right now about The Antlers. In the 40 minutes that this album takes, it just drifts by like a dream without ever really being "dreamy". It's memorable pop music that happens to move at a really slow pace. It could find it's place among the shoegaze and dream pop classics of the early 90s, but it feels perfectly in place in 2011. I'm still not going to be an album that I'm going to put on a best ever list and I can't be one of those people claiming that The Antlers changed my life, but this is going to be one of those records that I can put on whenever and just know that I'll have a pleasant time listening to it. Maybe I made that realization a long time ago, and never really was trying to delete it.

In Summary: A really pretty record.

没有评论:

发表评论